Stapelia Speciosa Orbea Starfish Succulent
Nature never ceases to amaze us and the flowers of the Stapelia Orbea Speciosa are no doubt one that amazes with every bloom. The Orbea speciosa is a prized cactus/ succulent for its unique star-shaped flowers. Generally, the Orbea succulents are truly rewarding bloomers. This species was reclassified from being known as Stapelia Speciosa. This plant is easy to grow in dry climates with very well-draining soils. This plant comes from the KwaZulu-Natal region of South Africa and is definitely a gorgeous one to cultivate. This plant is pollinated by flies so don't mind the slight smell made to attract those flies to come on in and pollinate.
Allowing these plants to sit in too much water risks getting lost to root rot so adding extra drainage rocks or terracotta pots is a great idea. You can also check out some of our other starfish succulents like the Stapelia Gigantea and Huernia Zebrina.
Available in the following packaging based on your preference:
- Nursery Pot - Standard 4-inch planter pot that can be placed inside a larger pot or left as is until it outgrows it.
- Marie Planter - This plant comes packaged in a 4" terracotta planter pot ready for your home or office space with a matching tray to catch drips when watered.
For added humidity, our Lyfe Rose Gold Signature Mister will make a perfect addition to your plant shelf for both function and beauty. We also recommend adding our Plant Shield & Shine to your order for routine maintenance and pest prevention.
Looking for more plant goodies? Check out our accessories Here.
Our plants are shipped from our indoor greenhouse in South Florida. Please note all our plants are one of a kind and if you want to message us we can send you a picture of the exact one you will receive. The product image here is intended to be the best representation of what you can expect to receive but yours may have slightly less or more growth depending on the crop we have when your order is placed. Any lifestyle pictures are meant to demonstrate how a fully grown or more mature plant looks for you to get a sense of it in your space.
- Botanical Name
- Orbea speciosa, Stapelia speciosa
- Common Names
- Carrion Flower, Stinky Plant, toad cactus, toad plant, starfish cactus, starfish succulent, starfish plant
- Plant Type
- Succulent, Milkweed
- Mature Size
- 8-inches tall and about 20-inches wide
- Sun Exposure
- Full Sun to partial shade
- Soil Type
- Fast draining mixes, however not completely drought resistant plant, needs regular watering
- Soil pH
- Neutral to slightly alkaline
- Bloom Time
- Seasonal bloomer once mature enough.
- Flower Color
- Yellow with Red striping
- Hardiness Zones
- Zone 9a-12 outdoors; may grow indoors in containers with enough light
- Native Area
- South Africa
- Pet Safe/Toxicity
- Not pet friendly, can be toxic
All our plants ship exclusively with UPS to ensure they arrive timely and in good condition. We ship most of our plants Mondays & Tuesdays to most of the USA to ensure they arrive speedy to your location. If you order on a Tuesday after 12 PM ET it is possible that we would not ship it till the following Monday.
We monitior the weather in each destination location to maximize the shipping time and utilize thermal protection to ensure that the plant is protected. You can add a heatpack or thermal bag to your order if temperatures at night fall below 40 degrees.
You can visit our shipping policy to learn more.
I’ve purchased several plants from Verdant life. Love them.
Plant arrived in excellent condition. Much larger than I expected. Carefully packed, no damage during shipping. IVery healthy.. I ove it.